SIGN UP NOW FOR 2017 AUTUMN SESSIONS: Oct 1st & 8th; Nov 5th & 12th; Dec 3rd & 10th.
NEW! WINTER FAMILY CRAFT SESSION: Saturday 2nd December.
Details to follow. This new activity will be suitable for ages 7+ and their adults.
Thank you for popping in to find out more about volunteering with us. Barnes Common is a great place and we think all of the Common and Vine Road Recreation Ground are pretty special, but some of our habitats, particularly our lowland acid grassland, are nationally scarce, so every bit of everything you do really does make a difference.
Previous candidates have collected seed from a flower meadow to be sown the following year, helped younger members make special food for pine cone bird feeders, and got stuck in opening up an overgrown area, transforming it into a welcoming woodland trail. This sensory space is a particular favourite with our SEN learners.
Our programme runs in the Autumn term. This doesn't disturb wildlife, fits well with exam revision time, and is designed so you can achieve your goal by the end of term.
TRAINING IS PROVIDED THROUGHOUT AND SESSIONS ARE SUPERVISED AT ALL TIMES.
Where Start and finish at Vine Road Recreation Ground SW13 0NE unless stated otherwise.
What you get
- Practical conservation work that can include the safe use of hand tools, map reading and species identification.
- Work with other DoE candidates and experienced conservation volunteers.
- Share your own skills, knowledge and ideas with our young junior conservationists.
- Sessions run regularly on the first and second Sunday morning of the month and you need to attend both.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is provided, but you will need to dress appropriately - see below:
What you give
- Commitment: We expect to see you regularly, but should missing a session be unavoidable, it is the responsibility of the candidate (that's you!) - not your parent or guardian, to let us know.
- Lots of energy, enthusiasm and smiles
First Sunday of each month 10.15 - 12.15. This session gives you chance to work with our staff to help our younger members learn more about nature and the Common.
Second Sunday of each month 10.00 - 13.00. This session is our regular conservation work party where you have chance to work with other DoE candidates and our conservation volunteers from your local community.
- Dates for Autumn 2017: Oct 1st & 8th; Nov 5th & 12th; Dec 3rd & 10th.
Candidates and their parent/guardian need to complete and return a CONSENT FORM
Dress for mess! Layer up, be prepared to get wet, sturdy footwear an absolute must, water, hat, sun cream (!)
An up to date tetanus is usually recommended when working outside, but you should consult your GP about this.
Supervising staff have DBS clearance, first aid and relevant qualifications.
If you would like to know more, please get in touch - we look forward to hearing from you!