DATES FOR OCTOBER 2019 will be confirmed in September.
Thank you for popping in to find out more about volunteering with us! We think all of Barnes Common and Vine Road Recreation Ground are pretty special, but some of our habitats, particularly our lowland acid grassland, are nationally scarce, so every bit of everything you do really does make a difference.
There is much to do! Previous work has included saving seed from a flower meadow, helping junior members make bird feeders and opening up an overgrown area, helping transform it into a welcoming sensory woodland trail.
Training and supervision are provided throughout. Lead staff have DBS clearance, first aid and all relevant qualifications.
When & What
Our programme runs in the Autumn term. This doesn’t disturb wildlife, fits well with exam revision time, and is designed so you can achieve your goal by the end of term. In September, dates, times and session choices are posted at the top of page. Candidates must complete 12 hours over six full sessions.
Start and finish at Vine Road Recreation Ground SW13 0NE unless stated otherwise.
What you get
- Practical conservation work that can include the safe use of hand tools, map reading and species identification.
- Work with other DoE candidates and experienced conservation volunteers.
- Share your own skills, knowledge and ideas with our young junior conservationists.
- Sessions run regularly on the first and second Sunday morning of the month and you need to attend both.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is provided, but you will need to dress appropriately – see below:
What you give
- Commitment: We expect to see you regularly, but should missing a session be unavoidable, it is the responsibility of the candidate (that’s you!) – not your parent or guardian, to let us know.
- Lots of energy, enthusiasm and smiles!
Candidate and parent/guardian return completed CONSENT FORM
Dress for mess! Layer up, be prepared to get wet, sturdy footwear an absolute must!
We advise consulting your GP about tetanus
Contact us for more details or to apply.