Now meeting outside is permitted with suitable precautions, Mike Hildesley will be leading FoBC’s traditional annual work party at the Old Cemetery on Remembrance Sunday, and observing 2 minutes silence at 11:00am, gathered around the Hedgeman memorial to honour not only the ten Commonwealth War Graves within the Cemetery, but also all those around the world who have given their lives for their country, or community, whether in the armed services or other walks of life, as well as to give thanks to all those who put their lives at risk for the benefit of others.
- Time: from 10:00am at Rocks Lane car park (or if later find us around the Old Cemetery)
- Aims: to cut back encroaching vegetation, tidy up some fallen branches, patch up one pathway with fresh gravel and generally leave the cemetery looking tidy within the context of being part of a nature reserve. Ensure all war graves and those of other notables are tidy and accessible.
- Clothing: wear old clothes that you do not mind getting dirty or snagged; boots or stout shoes advised. If you have them, bring your own gardening gloves (we have some available).
- Tools: hand tools (loppers, saws, some clipper, secateurs) will be provided, but these are in limited supply so bring your own if you wish and are able to. There will also be rakes and leaf blowers to help clear pathways etc.
- 11:02 am: Tea and instant coffee, biscuits etc will be provided after the 2 minutes silence. You are welcome to come to this without joining in the work party! We will also be happy to show people around the cemetery if anyone wishes.
We have no idea how many may show up – it will really help if you plan to come if you could let us know by contacting Jackie, but don’t let that stop you turning up on the day!