In 925, King Athelstan gives Barnes, formerly part of the Manor of Mortlake, is given to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul’s Cathedral, who remain landowners to this day.
From Elond (land by the ‘ea’ or stream) in 1461 to ‘Iland’ in 1519; ‘Elandes’ in 1523; ‘Ealands early in the 1800’s and ‘Island’ right up until the end of the that century, when its southeast boundary was a simple lane, now known as Vine Road.
So when and why did the lane become Vine Road?

